This slow-cooker chicken recipe makes a perfect alternative to standard tomato-based barbecued chicken. Both kids and adults will devour these drumsticks, doused in a honey-sweetened sauce spiked with orange, ginger and garlic.
Makes: 6 servings
Serving Size: 2 drumsticks
Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 medium chicken drumsticks (3-3 1/2 pounds), skin removed (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Combine honey, orange zest, orange juice, soy sauce (or tamari), garlic, ginger, vinegar and crushed red pepper in a small bowl.
- Coat a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add drumsticks, pour in the sauce and mix to coat. Cover and cook until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of the meat without touching bone, 2 to 3 hours on High or 4 hours on Low.
- Transfer the drumsticks to a bowl. Very carefully pour the liquid from the slow cooker into a medium skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until reduced and syrupy, 10 to 15 minutes. Pour the sauce over the drumsticks and stir to coat. Serve sprinkled with cilantro and sesame seeds.
Tips & Nutrition
- To remove the skin from chicken drumsticks, grip the skin from the meaty end of the drumstick with a paper towel and pull down toward the exposed bone until it comes off completely.
Per serving: 245 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 150 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 15 g added sugars; 16 g total sugars; 28 g protein; 0 g fiber; 404 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (33% daily value), Potassium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 6 lean meat